Image from Beacon Radio on flickr (Creative Commons)
- Nicolas Kent (artistic director of the Tricycle Theatre)
- Paul Lewis (special projects editor of The Guardian, shortlisted for the Orwell Prize 2010)
- Mary Riddell (assistant editor of the Daily Telegraph, shortlisted for the Orwell Prize 2008 and 2004)
- Alex Wheatle (novelist, author of books including Brixton Rock, East of Acre Lane and Brenton Brown)
- Chaired by Jean Seaton (director of the Orwell Prize)
This year’s Orwell Prize launched with a debate on ‘Writing the Riots’, at the Frontline Club, London on Wednesday 9 November. The schedule for the evening is as follows:
- 6.30pm Drinks
- 7pm Launch of the Orwell Prize 2012 and announcement of judges
- 7.05pm Discussion, ‘Writing the Riots’
Entries for this year’s Prize will open on Wednesday 9 November 2011 and close on Wednesday 18 January 2012, for all work published in 2011. The rules are available elsewhere on our website, while the entry forms will become available after the launch on our ‘How to Enter’ page. If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com.
The schedule for this year’s Prize is:
- 9 November 2011 Launch and launch debate
- 18 January 2012 Close of submissions
- 28 March 2012 Longlist announcement
- 25 April 2012 Shortlist announcement and debate
- 23 May 2012 Awards ceremony, Church House
- How to enter
- Launch 2011: Poverty and the Spending Review
- Launch 2010: What next for Burma?
- Launch 2009: Is journalism failing failing states?
- Launch 2008: Orwell, ID cards, the citizen and the state